More than 6 million car accidents happen every year in the United States. While some accidents are fender benders, involving little or no injury, others are collisions or crashes that result in notable injury or property damage. In the unfortunate event that you are involved in a car accident, you need to know the steps to take as well as other details surrounding car accidents.
Here is a guide on what you should do after a car accident. It is also important to point out that seeking the help of a car accident lawyer as soon as you are involved in an accident can help you build a strong case whether you are seeking compensation or defending yourself against liability.
Steps you should take immediately after an accident
Some of the important steps you should take after a car accident are as follows:
- Don’t leave the accident scene. If you are injured, the first priority should be your safety and the safety of others
- Call 911. You should call 911 in order to get emergency medical help in case anyone is injured. The medical help that you get soon after a car accident will also be part of your medical report
- Call the police. You should call the police to inform them about the accident, especially if it is severe or there are injuries. A police report will also be crucial later when you make a follow-up on the case
- Don’t move vehicles or persons who have been injured. Unless you are absolutely sure, you should not move an injured person or a vehicle that has been involved in an accident
- Take videos and photos. Videos and photos of the vehicle or vehicles involved as well as the accident scene are important pieces of evidence regarding the accident
- Share information with other drivers. You need to exchange information such as contact details, license plate information and other relevant details with the other driver
- Get in touch with a car accident lawyer. The lawyer will help you in gathering any evidence that is necessary for filing a lawsuit or a claim. Your lawyer will also give you the advice that you need. More information about the importance of hiring a car accident lawyer are provided below
Why you should hire a lawyer after a car accident
It is important to consult a lawyer as soon as you are involved in accident because of the reasons below.
To protect your rights – Whether you are at fault in an accident or you just need to claim the compensation that you are entitled to after a road mishap, you need to understand the applicable statutory and case laws. A competent car accident lawyer will guide you appropriately and ensure that your rights are protected.
To get help with making an injury claim – Injury claims may be complicated depending on the nature of the accident. A lawyer’s help can come in handy.
To ensure that valuable evidence is not destroyed – Car accident lawyers know the kind of evidence that is required in filing insurance claims or to be adduced in case of a lawsuit. They also know how to protect and present such evidence.